City Scores and Ratings
Pros and Cons of Living in Downs
You might be looking to move to Downs, Illinois or just interested in the city’s livability, so to help you, we’ve put together the pros and cons of living in Downs. This assessment ranks the factors used to assess livability and compares them against other cities on a national and state level. While this assessment should give a good detailed idea about the advantages and disadvantages of living in Downs, it might not incorporate all areas that might appeal to some people.
Since moving to a new city can be a big decision. Hopefully, this evaluation will help you in your career change, relocation, or just a change.
Living in Downs, Illinois
Is Downs, Illinois a good place to live?
Yes, Downs is a great place to live. Downs ranks well in a combination of education, crime, cost of living and diversity. Downs truly has something for everyone, and that’s why it’s a great place to call home.
Ultimately, what makes a great city to live in is subjective. Some people might prefer a smaller city with a tight-knit community, while others might prefer a larger city with more options. The important thing is that a city provides what its residents need and want. If a city has everything a person is looking for, it can be a great place to live.
There are a lot of factors that make a city a good place to live. One of the most important is affordability. Housing costs shouldn’t consume too much of a person’s income. Another important factor is job availability. A city should have a healthy economy and a variety of jobs to choose from.
A city also needs to be safe. People should feel comfortable walking around at night and there shouldn’t be a lot of crime. Amenities are another important factor. A city should have a variety of restaurants, bars, and other places to go out. It’s also nice if a city has a lot of parks and green spaces.
Finally, a city should be diverse. There should be a variety of cultures and religions represented. People should feel welcome to live in any part of the city. A city that meets all these criteria is a great place to live.
Pros and Cons Details
Pros of Living in Downs
- Livability – Downs’s overall livability score is above average. This rating is the sum of the city’s data points and factors, and then a weighting of these variables is used to determine a good standard quality of life compared to other cities. The livability score considers education, crime, cost of living, and residents’ overall happiness calculated as a predictive index through our advanced statistical models.
- Cost of Living – When choosing a new place to live, the cost of living is a significant consideration. The cost of living in Downs is lower than the national average and most cities in the state. While some areas can be higher than others on a state and federal level, the overall average of housing costs, utilities, grocery items, transportation, health care, and miscellaneous goods and services are less expensive.
- Crime – In Downs, crime rates are lower than in other Sparse Suburban areas, nationally and statewide. Every day, almost half of the population thinks about crime and safety. If you call Downs home or are considering moving here, odds are your shouldn’t worry as much, and it is a significant pro and consideration for living here.
- Education – Overall, education for the area is good and ranks high on national and statewide levels compared to other cities. These ranking calculations consider factors such as public school graduation rates, enrollment rates, teacher to student ratios, and student and parent reviews. This data and scores are a weighted average of the area’s schools.
- Low Poverty Rate – There is a lower poverty rates in Downs than in other cities in the United States. The average poverty rate across cities in America is about 10-13%.
Cons of Living in Downs
- Population Size – The city only has 886 residents which is considered very small. Different surveys have shown that economic conditions are much worse in small towns than in bigger cities.
- Declining Population Growth – The population of Downs has seen a steady decline in the past 5 years. While a population decline can happen for many reasons, it might not be a concern, but it is something to watch. A decrease in the residents of a city has many factors or one critical incident. Reasons residents move away from an area can be due to short-term events, such as pandemics, conflicts, food shortages, other catastrophes, or long-term demographic patterns, such as the low birth rate or residents’ migration. These also can trigger a domino effect, which can trigger a further population decline because of economic impacts since there is less demand for basic services such as hotels, restaurants, and shops. The employment in these sectors then suffers.
Population & Growth
1 Year Growth
5 Year Growth
Who Lives in Downs?
Population of Male and Female Residents
Recent Insights about Cities in the US
- How to Sell Your House in 14 Days – Prep Guide to Sell Your House Fast
- Best Party Cities in the US 2022
- Top 10 most livable US Cities with the highest population 2022
- Top 10 US Big Cities to Live in 2022
- Top 10 cities to live in Florida 2022
- Top 10 US cities to retire in 2022
Write a Review
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.